Exciting progress from de-junk, re-junk participants Part 6




These are lovely embroidered and fused pieces by Jo Smith for the de-junk, re-junk show made from colourful plastic bags.

"I was born and brought up on the Wirral, went to Lancaster University and left with a B Ed (hons) in Art and Design. From there I've done many things, including three years of jewellery training, several years of counselling training and having my family.

Over the last few years I've exhibited in art galleries across the Wirral, and have completed many private commissions, ranging from small, personalised canvases, to a large scale triptych wall hanging.

I abandoned the formal, lengthy design techniques from my early training in art some time ago and take a much more spontaneous, intuitive approach to my work. My paintings almost take on a life of their own as I aim to portray my emotional response to the chosen subject matter. This is often my local beach or nearby woods, but I find inspiration in almost everything. The theme of love also plays a vital role in my image making.

I love to incorporate textural elements that help to suggest the natural qualities inherent in the subject. Hand-made papers, recycled plastics, litter, sand and other unusual debris are often included, creating richly textural and tactile pieces."

Comments